PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The reaction of the British captives to the Iranians
Old 9th Apr 2007, 21:19
YesTAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Possums, I've been watching this entire thing from a very long distance, in a completely disinterested manner. The entire episode leaves Iran smelling like a rose and Britain smelling of????

1. Sailors and marines captured by surprise.

2. It's news to the RN that the border is ill defined where they were operating.

3. Sailors squawk on Iranian TV and apologise.

4. Realisation sets in that there are no military options available to Britain.

5. Diplomacy applied, and surprise surprise, certain Iranians in U.S. custody released or at least made visible.

6. Americans incoherent with rage over "lilly livered" Brits (not me - read the NeoCon rubbish).

7. Iranians announce release of the prisoners as a gesture of peace and friendship just before the religious festival of Easter.

8. Sailors released after photo opportunity with Ahmenwhatsit. they are wearing very very bad suits and carrying Iranian gift bags. The tailoring of the suits alone are a causus belli.

9. Sailors return to universal joy - then the backbiting immediately starts.

10. "We wuz intimidated and locked up" is the universal cry. Iranians respond with video of happy smiling captives eating dinner and playing ping pong in detention.

11. "I'm getting seventy thousand quid for my story". Hello magasine starts planning its photo spreads.

12. "No further sales of stories allowed" from the MoD.

Question: Is there anything in this entire soap story that reflects well on the British Government or the RN, absent the return of the sailors?

I think not.

Maybe Blair should hire some Iranian spin doctors, come to think of it, Bush could do with a few as well.