PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US FAA investigates Continental 777 engine failure at Newark
Old 9th Apr 2007, 20:40
Austrian Simon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uniuniunium
I have read of Automatic Power Restoration as a means of increasing RTOM on some aricraft"
Some airplanes do indeed allow to accelerate the remaining engine(s) slightly. For example, MD-8x have about 800 lbs reserve thrust on the good engine (the failed JT8D-219 engine on the MD-83 just lost roughly 17800 lbs), which gets activated if ART is selected and no flex takeoff power is selected.

Similiar reserves are available for other airplanes, as you mentioned correctly, allowing the engine to be accelerated slightly beyond takeoff thrust for a very limited time. However, those thrust reserves are minimal compared to the lost thrust by the malfunctioning engine, just a few percent.

So the remaining engine(s) never make up for the failed engine, that's technically impossible and would immediately cause disintegration of the good engine(s).

Hence, my initial statement remains true (I did consider that sentence quite some time to not oversimplify the issue and then introduce a mistake by oversimplification).

Servus, Simon