PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JMC 250Kts Below FL100
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2001, 19:33
fireflybob

Higher speed descents do NOT save fuel - see Boeing general information for an explanation of this.

I am at a loss to understand how operators in the USA are any different to Europe, given the general rule of max 250 kts below 10,000 ft.

IMHO, increasing speed below 10,000 ft has little effect to regain profile if you are high. Increasing speed at "high levels" will bring you back on the profile because the TAS is higher and an increase in speed results in a lot more drag. (I seem to remember that if you want a steeper angle of descent then you need a lower Lift/Drag ratio!).

If you are below 10,000 ft or so and high on profile then, if anything, you need to start slowing up and getting some drag out!! (Flaps, Gear, Doors, Buckets - whatever you have got). Failing this then you can always enter the hold or do an orbit.

In the real world we have to strike a balance between a number of different factors, SOPs, weather, pilot experience, traffic, terrain etc. etc.

What worries me is when other pilots try to dictate how others should "fly" their aircraft. With safety in mind then the operation has to be based around the lowest common denominator - this may be "unpopular" at times but I would rather be unpopular than filing an MOR or crashing into the side of a mountain!

Finally, I seem to recall that high speed was a factor when Danair crashed at Tenerife many years ago. High speeds mean a bigger radius of turn when ATC comes up with a last minute instruction and, yes, I know they shouldn't but they do! That's what flying is all about!

------------------