PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 9th Apr 2007, 16:38
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We may be veering off topic here but I would like to make an observation on the ketones part of this saga.

QDM makes a valid point as to whether a person in a ketonic state should be flying an aeroplane. I don't know, and I have not read literature that defines that it presents a cognitive problem. My local AME whilst seeing the advantages and possible health risks of a low carb diet for weight loss has not proscribed flying on such a diet.

I have flown with several pilots who were, by there own admission in the first few days of an Atkins type diet. Yes, they smelled ketonic.

What I cannot understand is how anyone who has drunk alcohol or who has smelled it in decay on anothers breath can say that they cannot tell the difference between ketone breath and alcohol breath. They are very, very different to my nose, and to the noses of a quick straw poll in the crew room. The fact that they are difficult to distinguish electronically is interesting but irrelevant to this point.

(And I might add, the post in which arcniz described his expertise in this field is yet another example of the massive skill resource that pprune has collated.)

I believe that it was nothing short of malice that drove this report. I see that we are divided as to whether a "security" agent (or pond dweller, depending on your point of view, and you can see where mine lies...) has a right or a duty to report on aspects of aviation outside his expertise.

FL makes the point that it would be very difficult to prosecute this member of the security staff. Would it be illegal to publish his name, so that we might be able to identify him? Then we might be forwarned of his bias and arrange our own strategies to either confront him or avoid him.