PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 9th Apr 2007, 12:40
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nov71
Following so closely to the sneers (and worse) about the acquittal in Manchester by those who don't let facts get in the way of their prejudices, ‘On board presumably to see if the pilot reported for duty’ would have been less open to misinterpretation. You obviously realised your next post was at least open to misinterpretation, because you began it with “This could make me unpopular ……”
If I’ve misinterpreted any of your comments, I apologise unreservedly.

QDM
This pilot has just gone through a 9 day nightmare. In consequence of a report by some security guard who may or may not genuinely have thought he smelled alcohol, he was arrested, removed from his aircraft, taken in custody to a police station, then put on bail, suspended from duty, villified in some sections of the press and even condemned by some here.
Although his name wasn’t mentioned in the press or posted here, it inevitably spread quite quickly in the section of the industry in which he works. eg I was first told it within about 24 hours, and I'm not in the industry. (NB Those who know him were adamant there must be some mistake, no way he would do that etc.)

We aren't discussing some anonymous pilot. There is a risk the serious discussion you invite would lead to ill-informed speculation about his fitness to fly. It would be kinder IMHO if it took place after the dust has settled, and preferably as an academic discussion in the Medical forum rather than in a thread about a specific person who has already suffered a great deal.

We had the usual, and predictable, melodramatic 'shock horror' comments in some sections of the press when the story was first published. What would be the reaction here if the press said something like ‘Pilot cleared of drink allegation – but was he safe to fly?’ in an article complete with rent-a-mouth quotes and people declaring they wouldn't want him flying their wives, children, favourite pets etc?

it’s a pity they can’t just be happy for the Captain
That is my view. You’re entitled to consider it asinine etc.
IMHO, more than enough distress has already been caused to an innocent man without inviting further speculation.

bjcc
Others may have recognised the adaptation of Nelson's 'I see no ships.'
(For his own reasons, Nelson didn't want to see any ships so raised his telescope to his eye patch. Some naval historians say it's a misquote, albeit not changing the meaning.)

"some people don't get down on their knees and worship pilots"
Some people might think that’s rather a telling attitude for someone who claims not to have a chip.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 9th Apr 2007 at 14:04.