PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Men don't go around - a fatal cultural flaw.
Old 9th Apr 2007, 10:28
UNCTUOUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedbrakes and Auto-throttles?

PK-KAR

Thanks to your insights into the Investigator's preliminary report, I've picked up that it's not yet known whether an "over-flare" kicked in an auto-throttle response (>27ft RA, to maintain whatever speed was dialled up on the MFP as bug-speed) - aka Captain Marwoto's "the push" - but also haven't heard any comments upon:

"Whether or not the observation by a very experienced traveler that the airbrakes (aka speedbrakes) were extended throughout finals is a fact (i.e. the investigator hasn't yet said yea or nay on that?).

If they were, it could be interpreted that their use by the captain perhaps demonstrated that he was doggedly determined to "show" the copilot that he could still land, despite the copilot's refusal to extend the flaps any further because of their limiting speeds."

Is the above comment near the truth? / nearer to the truth or just (as yet) uncalled for? But I must add that the Austral/Italian journalist has been adamant throughout that the speedbrakes were extended. Sometimes it's little clues like that that can give truer insights into what was going on in the pilot's inner cranium.