PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Men don't go around - a fatal cultural flaw.
Old 9th Apr 2007, 08:37
pakeha-boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiwi grey...yeah mate,have seen that also .......they could title it

"Go- Around for Dummies"

Ultimately it is up to the crew to make this decision,based upon their current and actual config....you are within the "Gates" or you are not.

For those of us that do CAT 3 GA,S at 50 ft,the aircraft will in most cases touch down,but the procedure is to continue the go-around,we practice these in the sim(Ive had one actual) and they work very well.To me it proves a GA is possible from just about anywhere.... I dont say they are guranteed,but possible....

You talk of computers that crank out voice commands,....we have plenty of them now thankyou,and I personally dont believe they are the answer.. who,s flying the bloody thing.....it lies in the training,the abilty to make a decision.

I use my company ops as an example.....at the 1000ft(RA) gate the PM calls "one thousand"...the PF...calls "STABLE"... or ...UNSTABLE and correcting(whether it be be or altitude,speed etc)....@t the 500ft(RA) gate the PM calls" five hundred".....stable or unstable(meaning you are within the parameters,ie speed,altitude,VSI,GS,LOCALIZER).....anything outside of that is a GA,(whether VMC or IMC)......IT IS MANDATORY!!!!.....it works......

I,m sure this is similar to other ops,but my point here is that most do not "condition" themselves for the GA......everything is predicated on approach and landing....in that sequence.....you throw in a GA....and it seems most(not all) are not prepared for the event .....I think we have all at some time been guilty of that....

The bottom line here is training and a GA event must be briefed in all apps,whether VMC or IMC...