PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 9th Apr 2007, 08:07
QDMQDMQDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We’ve got used to people who claim pilots were guilty, even when they’ve turned out not to be. There’s a new phenomenon in recent posts.
Nov71, who started the thread with news that the pilot had been arrested and for some reason chose to add “On board presumably to avoid the 'I was just reporting sick ' defence" now feels the need to say: “That is some serious diet if his breath smelt of 'alcohol'. The fact that it was a prolonged low carb diet leads to the hope that it was being regularly monitored by a medical doctor.”
QDM joins him with: “That is some diet! Good idea to fly when on that kind of extreme regime?”
FL, in your crusading vigour on behalf of the unjustly accused you are in some danger of losing your objectivity and also a perspective on what pprune is actually for.

I made a perfectly valid point that this occurrence throws up for discussion an important issue: to get to the point of metabolising ketone bodies requires a human being to abstain from carbohydrate for 48-72 hours. It is at least worth considering the possible effect that this may have on cognitive function. Further, this is not an issue many will have previously thought of, or that has even been studied, I suspect. Awareness has been raised, some good may come of this. Your problem is...?

it’s a pity they can’t just be happy for the Captain
Come on, FL, this is asinine cheer-leading of the worst rabble-rousing, tabloid kind. Do you seek to promote or stifle sensible discussion?

Excessive partiality risks undermining the many good points you generally make. I'd have thought you would realise that as a distinguished lawyer.

QDM