PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captured Personnel Permitted to Tell Stories for Money
Old 9th Apr 2007, 07:51
threepointonefour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've pondered over this for a good few minutes now, and have come to the following conclusions;

1. The hypocrisy of our government is unbelievable - allowing this media circus after criticising the Iranians.

2. Each of the captives is surely subject to the Official Secrets Act and therefore prevented from speaking to anyone outside the service about their experiences - any breach of this could compromise existing operations and should be subject to a severe punishment. The breach would be easily traceable and should therefore prevent loose tongues.

3. I cannot comment on the captives' reactions whilst in Iran as I wasn't there.

4. I think that for the captives, sums up to £150k are a lot of money, and I too would be hard pushed to turn it down if I earned <£20k pa.

5. The crux of this, is that the conflict is still 'live', as opposed to JN and Andy McNab's post GW books/interviews. Our servicemen and women are still dying in Iraq/Afghanistan and their families will not profit in the same way; it does seem unfair.

It's done now.

In the (adjusted) words of Green Day,
Don't want to be a British Idiot,
Don't want to be a Nation under the new media,
Hey can you hear the sound of hysteria ....

** DON'T BUY THE NEWSPAPERS **

The problem, is that we won't. The "British Idiot" will.