PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 9th Apr 2007, 00:53
Nov71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was suprised to see myself listed with the 'bad boys' by Flying Lawyer, a person whose advice on the law I respect.

I initiated this thread as news, not expecting 10 pages of re-hashed opinions.

Following so close to the acquital in Manchester I thought it 'interesting' that the Police did not arrest the Virgin pilot until he was 'in the cockpit' as this would exclude the defence of 'reporting unfit for duty' This suggested a change in Police/Security tactics not a slur on the victim. Then again the reason could just be timing.

The high bac was explained as 'acetone breath' due to a long term low carb diet. It is 'some diet', or disease, that causes the body to metabolise it's own fat reserves for energy. The Atkins diet was condemned by dieticians as 'dangerous' since many followers bought the book without medical supervision-hence there must be risks. The report did not indicate if the pilot was receiving such supervision Though this is not a criminal offence.

A second evidential breath analysis would also record a high reading, the only accurate meaure would be a blood alcohol meaurement

I am pleased the pilot was quickly exonerated and the fact published asap