PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remaining seated on the ground
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2007, 20:49
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those people that stand up are the ones that the pathetic airline rules don't apply to. They are far too important to be bothered by silly rules and regulations like that and it means that they can get off the aircraft first, despite the fact they are sitting at row 60something and will have to wait for everyone else to get off anyway

I've never understood the facination myself, you still have to queue at Immigration and baggage reclaim, so why risk yourself and others by standing up before the aircraft has stopped.

A family member of mine was badly injured whilst being moved by the cabin crew during taxi which resulted in a fall down the stairs of a 747, and has since lead to that airline reviewing their procedures when passengers need to be moved before take-off so the Captain now has to be informed so the a/c can be stationary whilst it is done. (She also got a nice payout from the airline because of it too. )

Alot of people also do not realise how powerful aircraft brakes are, they really can stop quickly when at taxi speed (well they are designed to slow the a/c from landing speeds on touchdown or takeoff speed on a rejected take off so they have to be damn powerful).

Also as the passengers cannot see out of the front they are unable to prepare themselves for the imminent stop which almost always catches them out and throws them off balance when they are standing.

As someone stated, it is upto the crew to enforce this. I have been on many flights where the crew simply do not bother, so once one does it, another does and so on. If they made an announcment straight away, then that would nip it in the bud. I have been on flights too where the crew have used embarrasment to get the offender to sit down, along the lines of "will the guy in the blue shirt standing in the aisle please sit down until the a/c has come to a stop and the seat belt signs are turned off". This usually results in everyone else turning round to look at said offender who quickly sits back down and is usually rather