PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 8th Apr 2007, 18:13
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
As one who has experienced extreme pressure to keep me flying with two alcoholic captains, I'm perhaps highly biased in thinking that there is still a great deal of work needed to filter out the few that let the side down. It was a long time ago, but no one would listen to me. I finally stormed out of a very good job with a well known UK independent.

I like a drink in the evening, and if I were still flying, would now take substantial technical measures to quantify my intake. Once established, I would never vary from it.

The trouble is, the first drink lessons one's resolve and opens the ‘Oh, that'll be alright' door. So, knowing this, put me down for blowing into a machine every flight. It can only protect both passengers and one's own licence.

I see that I'm in the minority on the vote, but really just do not understand why. Just what is there to lose?

Just an aside that may be of interest.

The ‘Carbohydrate Diet' was of course, the ‘Carbohydrate Free Diet', or as near as one could get to it. It worked like magic, but was of course a very unwise procedure if taken to extremes.

The thing is, when it first became popular in the '60s, it was apparently just a copy of the ‘Canadian Airforce Diet'. Wether the Canadian Airforce doctors knew about this, is another question.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 8th Apr 2007 at 22:00.