PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how do YOU fly IFR procedures?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2007, 16:03
lusthansa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up how do YOU fly IFR procedures?

Hello guys, I am just about to make my annual IFR proficiency check. I have passed it always in the 6 years I did it before.

In my proficiency check I shall have to show:

DME ARC.
Holding procedure
NDB interceptions
VOR interceptions
procedure turns
flying correct Distance of Lead / Angle of Lead. ETC

The problem is: My former Flight Training Organisation was a kind of "academic". So I make everything I do correct but ... letīs say ... too complicated. This thread shall start a discussion on how to faciliate things in aviation whilst staying on the safe & correct "side".

So I am looking for good work techniques / mnemonics / shortcuts how to fly e.g. a holding yet correct but with less effort in the preparation in advance.

Can you reply how you prepare a holding, etc.?

Here is my (complicated?!) way how to prepare a holding (can you improve it? ... and also gimme good "abbreviations" on other aspects of flying like interceptions etc?):

1.) reduce to respective holding speed
2.) calculate entry procedure
3.) calculate WCA
4.) calculate entry procedure outbound heading with 2 * WCA when not flying Upper Altitude holdings.
5.) calculate (entry procedure) inbound heading with 1 * WCA.
6.) calculate abeam position
7.) calculate outbound timing: 60 sec +/- 1/2 WS when wind angle is btwn 30° ... 60°, 60 sec +/- WS when wind angle is btw 0° ... 30° and no time correction to get a precise 60 sec. inbound leg.
7a) Brief your copilot
8.) enter the hold over the fix
9.) start outbound timing when not flying direct entry proc
10.) inform ATC
11.) fly the rest ...

Appreciate your help.

Yours lusthansa