PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 4
Thread: Aer Lingus - 4
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2007, 14:58
Silver Tongued Cavalier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKK-DUB great circle distance is 5339nm. Add 10% for a real world routing, and 10% for wind , would be more like 6460 nautical AIR miles.

I think the longest A330-200 route currently is Air France CDG to Sao Paulo, 5065 nm great circle. Over Ocean too so more direct. An EI service from BKK to DUB would be THE longest A330 flight.

BKK-DUB flight time could be around 14 hours for a A330 in the winter. Airbus claim it can do 6750nm with max passengers (no cargo). It would be very tight.

So to answer you question, yes it could be done but taking a large payload hit (no cargo). I doubt this would be very profitable with low yield passengers, compared to US routes.

However I have seen a Mytravel charter A330 in BKK, don't know where this came from , maybe Germany? Closer and no cargo!!

In my opinion the runway length at DUB is the critical factor for direct viable flights to the far east, which unfortunatly rules out the otherwise perfect-fit A340-300. Only the new short fuselage , long range 787 could get max payload to the far east year round from DUB. Not sure about the A350XWB but this is years away!

The 777 would be better suited than the A330-200 too, especially the BKK-DUB leg in winter with a full load.

Last edited by Silver Tongued Cavalier; 8th Apr 2007 at 15:09. Reason: correction