PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captured Personnel Permitted to Tell Stories for Money
Old 8th Apr 2007, 13:29
oldfella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The behaviour of the hostages while in captivity is down to their briefing, interpretation of orders, training or the lack of it, and their own conscience. I cannot knock any of their actions as I wasn't there and didn't share their fears or worries. debrief will fall on others well above my pay grade.

HOWEVER, to give interviews to any part of the media, and accept payment for that, while serving, goes against everything and sickens me.

Whether I agree with the right or wrong of the conficts is immaterial. On the day of their release there was a repatriation ceremony and the news of four more military deaths and the death of a civilian interpreter. That is a large number of family and friends in mourning, awaiting the pain of the eventual repatriation, the suffering and grief at the funerals, the anguish of waiting for inquests.

Anyone making money from this incident, whether it goes to a charity or not, may have money in the bank but they have no dignity.