PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Free drinking water for airline passengers - Legal requirement or not?
Old 8th Apr 2007, 09:10
clearfinalsno1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free drinking water for airline passengers - Legal requirement or not?

I was a passenger on a Ryanair flight this week. I asked for a glass of "tap water". I have started doing this on other low-cost airlines to avoid being ripped off a few pounds for a small bottle. I was under the impression that it was written somewhere in air-law that airlines are obliged to offer free water to passengers to counter the dehydrating nature of airline flight. Am I right?

The cabin crew member paused and then said "we don't carry drinking water but I can give you some water from the kettle with ice cubes in to cool it down". When I said "don't bother", she quickly softened her stance and said "it's really no problem". I accepted her offer and got a glass of slightly warm water with ice cubes in a few seconds later. However, I strongly doubt it had been boiling and cooled so quickly. I suspect there is a supply of water but they are under instructions to sell bottles when possible to generate revenue.

Presumably the "galley water" is the same as that that is pumped into the aircraft for toilet flushing and hand washing. Does anyone have any information on whether this is considered potable or non-potable?

I started this topic after reading another thread where a crew member reports becoming ill from repeated drinking of galley water.