PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Men don't go around - a fatal cultural flaw.
Old 8th Apr 2007, 00:11
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EY777 could I just ask - your previous airline, a "major operator based in South East Asia", was that an airline run by Asian management or with a significant Western input (thinking of Cathay and Singapore type airlines) ??

So far you are the only response regarding a detailed breakdown of CRM in the Ops Man (early days yet, true) and that could be negated if your major airline does have significany Western input.
I still reckon if I were to bet the VAST majority of ASIAN managed airlines will have nothing more than a bland statement regarding CRM I'd be on a winning bet

No amount of training will offset the lack of management leadership and direction on this issue.

PK-KAR: have always enjoyed your information and input but in all fairness there is a huge difference between being "out of the slot" and being "unrecoverable."
On slope and V/S but 10 kt fast @ 200' is out of the slot, on slope but V/s 3000fpm and speed?? @ 200' is unrecoverable as indeed it was @ 1500' if the speed was anywhere near 280kt.

Shoot the messenger if you want but it is sounding like the "fix" is in: conflicting stories and data are being released, now the investigators are leaking conjecture suggesting the Captain had partial incapacitation (based on what hard, if any, evidence?? at least if he had full incapacitation you might think about it but how are you going to "prove" partial??) and the F/O (whom now is less than average and himself " did not have a stunning record ") failed to do his duties.

Captain not to blame (sympathy for his sad sad plight) and the F/O is fully to blame, CRM not in question as the Captain was out of it!

aerostatic - regarding your final sentence IF the company manual does not clearly lay out the required CRM procedures for both crew members thereby obligating company support this accident would indeed indicate that potential death is preferable to going against the bottom line of cultural norms and expectations.