PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - training in ontario.
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2007, 23:54
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Hi Moe,

Welcome to Canadian aviation, it's great!

Buttonville has a very good flight training environment. Buttonville is one of Canada's busiest airports, and is controlled. This means lots of radio work, which is good, but waiting in line sometimes, while the clock ticks, not so good. Yes, you log the waiting time as flying time, 'cause the engine is running, but you're on the ground.

Brampton Flying Club, which is just northwest of Toronto is also very good. Brampton's advantage is that they own their own airport. They also have a good selection of aircraft, including an amphibian.

There are a number of other flying schools which are also very good, farther away from Toronto. The one major advantage of many of these is that being smaller, they could perhaps more cater to your specific needs and schedule. The "big" flying schools are often very busy, and you can find yourself waiting for aircraft and instructors to be available.

On the other hand, if you're in a busy environment, and waiting to fly, you get to watch all of the other students, and learn from watching their successes and failures, and asking about them. That very valuable learning is completely free to you - as much as you can absorb!

If you are trying to complete training in a short calendar period, you can plan to fly a few hours a day, but more than two or three in a day, or eight to ten a week, will probably be wasted on you, as a person can absorb only so much new information per day.

Think of a flying instructor not so much as a person who is going to "teach" you to fly, but more keep you safe while you learn for yourself. If you walk up to the plane and instructor and say "teach me", they will, but you won't learn as much or as fast. If you imagine all the things you want to learn, read, practice, and watch the planes takeoff and land, your mind will fill with questions, Then you're ready to learn - your training dollar will be well spent.

If you return to Nova Scotia with a student pilot permit, expect some challenge in walking in and renting a plane. You will have to fit yourself into their flight training program to fly. If you have a fresh PPL, it will be easier, but still, the aircraft provider will want a thorough checkout.

If a career in aviation is your goal, I have one more tidbit of advice for you, which I intend as being helpful, not unkind: As you grow in our industry, you will be constantly exposed to people well established in aviation - sometimes you won't realize it, but they're there. These are the people who could help you if they so choose. If you're applying for a job, you're standing in front of them on full display. Always present your very best. Avoid and actively prevent errors. What I know about you are a few of your goals, and how you write. I know more than you'd guess about you, based upon how you write. Thoroughness and error checking are vitally important personal skills that an aviation professional wants to see all of the time.

That does not mean that people won't accept your mistakes, but let it be evident that the mistakes occurred only because your very best effort was still a bit short of the requirement, not that you did not put in your best effort. If you want somebody to send you off in their $100,000 plane, they'll want to think that you are thorough, and work hard to minimize errors.

Professionals give it their best all of the time, and are seen to do so. Professionals like to surround themselves with other people who seem professional too!

Best of luck with your flying...

Pilot DAR