PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Men don't go around - a fatal cultural flaw.
Old 7th Apr 2007, 06:29
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been an interesting thread however the real reason (and starting point for any fix) for the problems has been missed.

There will be no effective CRM in Asia until airline management make it a clear cut company requirement and outline the requirements and obligations of both the F/O and the Captain.

Someone can confirm exact layout but I believe (for example) Qantas, in their Ops Man, have the CRM pyramid explained, how the F/O gradually increases his forcefulness until a point where he makes a final demand (I believe it is something like "Captain you must listen to me") before taking control of the aircraft IF the Captain has not responded to any of the F/O's increasing concerns.
The requirements for both pilots and steps taken are laid out in black and white and the support of the company is mandatory as it is in their legal operating documents.

I would be surprised if any asian-management airline has more than something like "CRM is good and should be used by pilots to assist safety" in their Ops Man's (but more than happy to be corrected.)

Without the requirements from the company being clearly and unequivocably laid out for both crew members and the company demonstrating their support as above all the training in the world will be (almost) useless, bottom line will be the cultural norms/expectations of "face" and "age" and "position."