PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai - Expats with GCC licences to take fresh driving test
Old 7th Apr 2007, 05:26
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I first saw this top post, I found myself looking to the date, thinking it would read April 1st. Then I read Panama Jack’s reply and became a believer. Then I started searching for my copy of ‘The Caravan’ to add my contribution to the suggested study required for obtaining a UAE licence:
(Translator’s Note: Phorwealdryves were the swift and sprightly steeds on which the young warriors of Knoteetinghamm jousted daily, often to the death, upon the dunes around their scattered tents. It was usually a timid, almost passive creature. However, the moment a young Knoteetinghammi warrior cast his thighs across its saddle, it became like unto a raging bull, unable to bear the sight of any other phorewealdryve unless that animal be far behind it. To see other phorwealdryves in line upon the desert sands would send it into a slavering, eyeball-rolling frenzy and plunge headlong past them, its two bright eyes flashing, until it found itself at the head of the queue… or smitten against the flank of another phorwealdryve, itself almost certainly racing to the head of yet another oncoming queue.

Where the phorwealdryves were hastening to, no one knew, for they seemed to go nowhere but in endless circles seeking out more queues of phorwealdryves to jump. In the market square, Gull Fnewz, the Cherif’s trusted herald, expounded almost daily upon varying theories passed to him by visitors from many lands who witnessed this strange and fearsome trait. Although still unproven to this day, it is believed by many learned scholars that the phorwealdryves and their young riders were in search of their final resting place, the fabled Doubleparkoutsidetheshwamashoppe.)
And don’t forget the requirement to hold a ‘conch shell’ to your right ear at all times when driving.