PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex; Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2007, 03:06
Erin Brockovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I need to clarify some of the main points discussed here.

Pay and Conditions(call it lifestyle) go hand in hand. You can’t have one without the other in today’s climate. By ‘today’s climate’ I mean less experienced pilots to go around.

1st point – I’m seeing a common view coming up from some people (and that’s fine) that improving pays will not stop pilots leaving for bigger and better. Well I can guarantee that doing nothing to address the problem will achieve exactly that; nothing. I remember (not very well) a definition for insanity – doing or acting the same way every time yet expecting a different result.

2nd point – I agree that some people would be happy with just improved conditions, roster or lifestyle. Here is the catch. To improve a roster you need greater flexibility. Flexibility is achieved by sufficient crew numbers. Sufficient crew numbers are achieved when attrition is outweighed by line checked new hires. This can only be achieved with sufficient check trainers and suitable recruits (plus most importantly, a stable core of happy crew). Don’t pay enough and you don’t get either – hence you have a sh$tty roster working max duty.

Rex and similar companies can’t afford not to improve pays. Whether they realise it or not is a different story. I’m starting to feel that regional management would rather cut off their noses to spite their faces rather than give pilots a pay rise.

A very sad and puerile attitude that will be the downfall of many organisations.