PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how Many are leaving ??
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2007, 00:09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCCs

Sodapoop tsk tsk...calling me Europe boy...keep it grown up please.

SWA is an anomaly and a rarity ..I give you that.

Please cite some more examples of LCCs that haven't turned into a legacy carrier or went tango uniform...SWA is on the verge (maybe already is) of being a legacy carrier with its labour costs increasing every year/every contract. They too will soon feel a pinch like every other major airline does. Oh...AirTran..just around a few years and limited on growth due to the FAA imposed restriction on ValueJet and yet they even had to take a paycut after 9-11...otherwise they would have furloughed...keep labour costs low, it is the only card the LCC can play or not grow regionally.

I posted as well that in order to keep competitive on a global scale you need something other than a small jet like the 737 and LCCs do not offer the 'quality' that passengers desire on long hauls. Peanuts and pick your own seat doesn't cut it from London to Hong Kong but it might from Dallas to Las Vegas.

It needs to be more than that we are talking people here not cattle.

Like I said you can make a great bet when the fuel is priced low but sooner or later you have to pay the same high price as every other cheap airline or turn to solar panels but then not fly at night.

Remember that SWA also had a very tidy agreement with the city of Dallas and the Governor of Texas...no landing fees, no parking fees, monopoly on that field...it allowed it a great deal of room to make a profit for many years while other LCCs came and went without having the same advantage.

Herbie did pretty good with that 'Love'bug and all he had to do was do a touch and go at neighbouring state.

Very tidy indeed.

Again, thanks for a great forum...it gets better everyday.

EuropeBoy signing off. lol