PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exercise ONE!? Emergencies, Timescale, Sylabus
Old 6th Apr 2007, 21:38
blobber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exercise ONE!? Emergencies, Timescale, Sylabus

What is it with Exercise One - Emergencies.

Emergencies get far less than adequate attention in the PPL sylabus. I try to emphasise the importance of knowing what to do in any eventuality but knowing where to fit these valuable lessons into a sylabus is difficult. In order to teach PPL efficiently, an instructor should follow a structure which has been proved to be effective. I follow the pooleys guide but having Emergencies taught in Exercise OPne seems stupid. The student only just knows the front from the back (forgive the exaggeration) they cannot understand and take in how to deal with emergencies. Anyone have any explanations and tips.

A new student in my school gets 2 hours, normal lessons which are back to back are 1.5 hours giving 15 mins each side of a lesson which has to include signing out, walking to/ from the a/c, fitting in a refuelling maybe twice a day, and any problems the student is having etc. Basically giving you not much time to take a piss never mind explaining anything. Dont get me wrong, I make sure to give the student as much feedback and explanation as I can but its often not enough and the important stuff like drumming home How to deal with each Emergency GETS MISSED. Anyone you disagrees is not flying in a busy school or is lying. Every student I have 'taken over' from another instructor has a very poor understanding of Emergencies. I did too until much after my PPL. A few points here for discussion

Any suggestions, experiences?

Thanks