PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Dragonair? This is how it is now
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2007, 08:07
DrunkenAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sad but true

As a long time employee of KA I can attest that the good days are gone. While there is some embellishment in some of the above posts, there are many not far from the truth. I would have left by now except that it is difficult to find a position as a Direct Entry Commander that suits my family. The same situation exists for others so that possibly explains why so few crews have left. Legacy carriers are certainly not the preferred option for anyone here as they join so far down the list that even 5 yrs to command here seems worth it. Given what I know now, I would have to say go to that legacy carrier, and enjoy your lifestyle while there. You cannot enjoy HKG lifestyle unless you spend the majority of your income, and if you intend to do that, why bother coming here in the first place.

Just for those that are still interested in KA, a monthly roster will have you away from home for around 280-300 hrs with around 10 days home in HKG.
The cost of living has risen considerably in the past 3 yers however there has been no pay rise in 6. It is even worse for the MAN based chaps who now need to pay UK taxes and are on only a 10% bonus (which is fully taxable).
The basic cost of living in HKG is around double to triple what you may used to. In summer you can expect utility costs around $3000HK per month while you run the aircons, and you have to!
Most food is imported so unless you wish to eat noodles and chinese greens a weekly spend at the supermarket for a family of four is around $5000HK.
Education costs are expensive. True they are subsidised but only to a certain level. Luckily I am past it but I hear that others are paying around $2000Hk per month (after allowances) per child.
True that you dont need a car if you live in HK and that the public transport system is second to none. However if you decide to live outside the MTR zones, as many do, then a car is essential. Cost of fuel is around $13 per litre. Add tollway roads and parking costs and a daily trip to work costs around $300HK.

For those considering coming here I would have to say that given an option of either KA or CX - take CX. CX are the masters and will ensure that CX prospers while KA withers. The KA brand will be around for another 5 years or so and then the real fight to keep or improve conditions will be fought. Luckily I shall be gone by then.

Have a drink on me!
Drunkenair.