PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex; Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2007, 04:27
Erin Brockovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is going to be a very familiar story Australia wide. I am coming to the unfortunate conclusion that it’s not going to be rosy pursuing a long term career at these regional ‘airlines’.

Let’s face it. No time in the near future will the management types be offering pilots (or F/As) fruit baskets with a ‘sorry I didn’t value you’ card, and more importantly a substantial pay rise to overcome the rift they have created. This will happen only when it’s too late.

As for the improved working conditions? Less staff will mean more work for the remaining staff any way you look at it. The companies will need to offer flight crew a pretty big incentive to stay on working harder and at the same time entice others to sign up and do the same when so much opportunity is out there.

I agree that the companies need to address the flight crew remuneration urgently. Once the experience is gone, it is gone forever. I however do not believe that this will happen. If improved T&Cs were going to be offered then they would have done so by now, while the economy is strong and profits are high. Business is booming yet flight crew T&Cs have stayed the same.

Time to smell the coffee! I say get out and strike while the iron is hot and improve the life of your selves and your families. These companies certainly won’t – and if they do it will be only for the short term until they feel safe again. Then they will change the AWAs again (which everybody will be on by then) and you’ll be back to square one.

To put it eloquently – fcuk’em

Employee loyalty and respect can only be gained (earned) by the companies when they do the same – and that is shown through remuneration. The main reason we go to work is to get paid. Pay your employees poorly when times are GOOD and they will know how you really feel towards them.

One final up-side is that experienced pilot numbers are relatively low and don’t grow on trees like some think. Management positions however are a lot easier to replace. You don’t even need any formal qualifications. Think on that one for a while.

PS Good to see the Air force pay department is getting a kick up the ass finally.

Last edited by Erin Brockovich; 7th Apr 2007 at 03:05.