PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terror in the cockpit!!!!(A Nigerian thing?)
Old 6th Apr 2007, 00:24
Shinobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Shinobi

Flying bucket.Pls accept my sympathy.I am a Captain who has flown in various parts of the world including Nigeria. From my interaction with some Nigerian pilots including,some ex-Nigeria Airways pilots, this is a problem.According to some of my associates in Nigeria,"these characters" were a factor in the demise of Nigeria Airways.Big egos,feeling like superior Pilots,etc.These were the trademarks of these "nuts" in Nigeria Airways.I must honestly say that,some very good,professional Pilots also came out of Nigeria Airways.People who are professional to the core,unlike these other characters.This is actually why a lot of them did not make it into Virgin Nigeria according to info.Most of these guys need to be sent back to school to learn how to interact with other human beings.I strongly suggest that you talk to a trustworthy person n your management about organisin a CRM programme.To the best of my knowledge, It will allow people to open up about their frustrations, working with these people while an independent party gives a critique.It may change some of them.I believe that it is mandatory in Nigeria that Pilots have to undergo a CRM course, at least once a year.You may also use the NCAA's assistance to enforce this law in a covert manner. All the first officers I have flown with in my career have good things to say about their experiences while working with me.Allthough, I have had some First officers who were just very rude,showoffs, a big ego,with very little to give when it comes to performance etc.Some EX Nigeria Airways F/O/s said that some of these Ex Nigeria Airways Captains could not actually explain their own behaviours.They were just displaying behaviours that they inherited from their predecessors because they did not know any other way.They also lack leadership skills.They were placed into leadership positions without the training for leadership,allthough some people were born with leadership skills.These fellows are also accident risks,due to their way of interaction.They actually have poor feelings about themselves,that is why they try to humiliate others in public, thinking that will make peolple tfeel that they are highly professional.Some of the pilots who were in Nigeria Airways were initially flying in other companies.You will find out that the nasty ones started their flying in the Nigeria Airways and have never been anywhere else.I just want you to know that I, a Captain do sympathise with you