PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2007, 17:40
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that was in the 'good old days...'

1987, to be exact. Back then the bad guys didn't usually come up with AK-47s so that a Smith & Wesson Chief's Special would trump a machete, I guess.

It was pretty funny, actually. We were sat at table, celebrating New Year's Eve at a party thrown by some Irish people near the Airport Hotel in Ikeja.

I think they were serving alcoholic beverages from what I can remember. Anyway the wife was sat there with our friend, who was flying 412s and 222s for the Police. We got onto the subject of 'crime in Nigeria' and he came up with this little, zippered leather wallet that hit the table with a thump. He opened it to show off his toy.

She asked that question, 'Is it loaded?' when we all laughed, as boys do. Then he ejected the shells and handed it to her, when she held it as if it were hot.

Later he asked her if she might like a nice ride in his helicopter, when I had to tell her that permission was refused. She was very disappointed but then she was rather new to the scene. I guess her mother never warned her about helicopter pilots.