PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 5th Apr 2007, 15:58
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronx
"He should damn well know better. If he wasn't caught blah blah blah"
Nope, can't find anyone that's said that....Perhaps you could point it out?

"it was a foolish and iresponsible thing to do"
Which is a misquote Bronx, the full text of that paragraph being

"Too many people here are judging too quickly... YES i agree it was a foolish and iresponsible thing to do... but none of us know the reasons behind this, it could be deeper than we think.... i'm not defending anyone."

So, not implying guilt there either.
"Here we go again! This guy should be ok no matter how drunk he was. He can always use the "I was reporting sick on the radio" defence or the "I was going to report sick before V1" defence. Should not be a problem."

You see that as implication of guilt? I thought it was just irony.

"Thank god for the Security staff!"

How does that imply guilt?

"the Security staff do seem to be very competent at assessing the fitness of crews to fly though don't they? Shame the crews aren't!"

Again, a piece of humour perhaps? Certainly not an implcation of guilt.

"Funny how people who don't know the first thing about flying and people who got a chip about pilots come out of the woodwork to give us the benefit of their opinions on these threads"

Really? Where are those with a chip on thier shoulder? Or is it your assumption because some people don't get down on their knees and worship pilots, they must have an issue with them?

As regards to not knowing anything about flying, possibly you are right, and possibly you are wrong. There have been a number of points made, that are not in total support of this guy, by those that are pilots. But the flying isn't the issue, is it, it's at the moment an alledged breach of law.

On your last point, I agree. But, Pilots/ATCO's/LE's, ie those effected by this legislation are not the only people in the same boat. A Train driver, Police officer, Lorry driver, taxi driver and many other occupations are in the same boat when it comes to driving, get convicted, loose job as well as licence.
They then have to change career. Yes, they will usually get thier licence back after a year, but a return to thier former occupation is usually barred.
In the case of pilots, the Courts do not disqualify them from flying. If a Pilot/ATCO/LE has his licence taken away. it is by the CAA. If it is returned, they can, at least in theory, return to flying as a career.