PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS advert
Thread: NATS advert
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2007, 15:36
Jerricho
Ohcirrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually Bratback, it was a general, all encompassing scenario anywhere in the world, not just specific to NATS. Agreed, just because somebody does share the same interest as you doesn't mean you will like them, but it certainly provides common ground to start from. One thing I have certainly learnt in this job is you can pick up a hell of a lot of useful information from experienced bods sitting around you, especially from the old dinosaurs recounting war stories of "....and this one time, at controller camp......."

I've read back through the thread, and not one single post hints at or implies that yourself, or any other person who has donned a headset in anger should not have been allowed in based on the premise raised.....you've drawn that inference in a very defensive manner, and your "offence" is certainly unwarranted. No one here is trying to to start a pissing match about ability or professionalism, just a friendly little discussion regarding opinions (all be it a horrendous thread drift )

To echo the opinions of other controllers here, I believe an interest in aviation can certainly aid in your performing a service (NOTE: I am not referring to anyone's professionalism or abilities), especially in unusual circumstances where thinking "outside the numbers" is required. 2 instances I can think of off the top of my head......a Sirrus SR20 informs it has an engine failure, what can be expected. A Cessna 337 on a hot day informs you it's having engine problems. A Caravan informs you it's having problems with "it's boots". I'm sure others out there could add to the list.

Of course, as has been stated already, "ask the pilot what's up" will provide more information, but anything tucked away in the grey matter that hasn't become beer fuddled over there years that can aid in situations described above can only viewed as an advantage.