PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue EBA II (Poll)
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2007, 14:30
ccguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me start by saying "brettslave" I don't "just do my job" I am very good at my job and my Propel's have proven that. I put in more than 100% into this job because I believe that we are paid quite fairly for what we do. If your family we're to fly on one of my flights, I would treat them just as I treat any other guest, with respect, have some fun, and all while being aware that their safety is of utmost concern.

Companies need to remain profitable to continue to operate. Remember Ansett? A great airline but was run into the ground because of poor management and the fact that it's employees were overpaid. Across all departments including its Flight Attendants.

Its funny you say you would get more for being a teacher. Its nice to see that you compare apples with bananas. Being a teacher is a skilled profession. People need to study at uni for around 4 years before they can even step foot into a classroom and teach. We spend 5 weeks in a training room to learn our jobs. So, I think that your comparison is flawed. Try again.

Oh, and if the average wage is over $50K, are you talking for skilled or non-skilled workers? I have spent the last 8 years as a call centre representative for a variety of companies (including airlines) and the average wage is usually between $35k to $45k. This is including the shift work.

I think there are many people out there in the general public who would laugh at the comment that the average wage is over $50k a year.

According to the Bureau of Statistics, the average wage in Queensland was $35,917 for 2003-2004. Even if you factor in a 3.4% increase in wages every year (pretending that wages increased by the average CPI every year), you would get around $39,705 for 2006-2007. Kind of a far cry from the "average of over $50k" you predicted.

All in all, as F/A's, we are paid over and above what would be required to be paid to us if we were on an award. Let's all be realistic here. Oh, and when you quote figures, remember to be a little more accurate.

Come on guys, look at the bigger picture, are we really going to be that worse off with the new EBA that we won't be able to afford our rent or food or anything else for that matter. Just food for thought, my partner earns about $35k a year and I work less hours than he does and yet I earn more. A little perspective goes a long way.