PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA response to the ATSB report on Lockhart River
Old 5th Apr 2007, 13:21
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
There might be disagreement on this thread about GPS/NPA, but there wasn't too much disagreement in the recent survey.
Lack of an easily identifiable distance to run to MAP or RW was a/the major issue.
Another issue was the lack of uniformity in operation of GA type equipment, with each manufacturer having different operating logic.
There is absolutely no doubt that a moving maps beats no moving map hands down --- have a look at the CFIT (or lack thereof) accidents with glass cockpits, the message has been clear for years.
If you haven't already, have a look at the flight profile/speeds at Lockhart River, quite apart from what "legal" max. speeds might have been, I would have had great difficulty flying an NPA approach at those speeds, even with a "perfect" chart.
I know more than one of my mates, flying Metro's and old Kingair, with "similar to the above" "official" GPS, and rightly or wrongly, carry a handheld with a moving map, just to have a "better picture" of what is going on.
Tootle pip!!