PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling Elroy re: training
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2007, 11:36
Five Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elroy, Pollution et al....

Elroy: I only mentioned the Ferarri thing because you tried to use it to relate to pilots and airplanes. The fact is there is no connection. The pilots in this company have been under continuos training to fly our jets and so it should not be that much of a step to the lefet seat.

Not sure where you did you human phsycology degree but maybe see if you can get your money back. Asking an FO a series of inane questions in no way tells you how they will act in the left seat. Putting them in the left seat will.

It is not that the questions are inane but rather the write ups after said questions.

Differences in trainers IS understandable. Differences in your chances of passing are neither understandable nor proffesional. Your career track here depends on whether you were lucky with checkers or not. Simple write up differences should be washed out of the mix but are not entirely. Command course failures are also still more likely with certain checkers than others. WRONG

As for questions regarding VMCG etc. Why not have a command course curriculum printed up with all areas open for discussion (checking) spelled out ? Something along the lines of the orange binder given for JFO upgrade etc . Then any info you find lacking in candidates can be highlighted for the candidate to research and learn up on. Save all some grief.

I think that you should read some of the posts twice before you pass judgement. Learning in the airplane does not mean running it off the end. Rather it means pushing one's comfort level a little to learn where your hard limit might be. This can, and should be done within the limits of the SOPS in particular stabalised app etc.

Pollution: You are quite right. Trainers must accept their role in the training record of this company. They see themselves as standards keepers first. While very commendable that does not help the candidate at all. Would it not be better to improve said candidate in the early years by posotive training and less harsh write ups ? Then as you approach command with a more posostive outlook I am sure pilots would start to preform to the high standards.

I think the majority of posts "dumming down" are only trying to suggest that high standards can be attained and maintained without the level of intimidation and negativity that is used here. I do however agree with you that this is not an easy proffesion, that we as a pilot group should still be given some measure of respect. That respect should also reach down to the lowly FO. There are more than a few Captains who still treat their FOs as their spoiled teenager. The whole training process in fact, lacks respect. All you have to do is read some of the latest material from the mill owners to see this lack of respect.

FG