PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 5th Apr 2007, 06:39
Octavius

Unhappy I think B757-200 made a valid point.

I will not quote his words as many have read and commented on them.

However, on this forum we, as non-pilots, very often see the words "swiss cheese" being mentioned.

From this description of the cause of catastrophic events I imagine the industry would prefer the cheese to have many fewer holes and the holes be much smaller.

Now, as pilots you know you are flying a complex machine closely coupled to a human interface, even when everything is functioning 100%, aircraft, pilots, ground and spaced based nav aids, when something fails you guys up the front earn your pay check. (insert here the countless times the pilots saved the day)

I think the point B757-200 was not trying to make but asking "Why even take off when one of the 2 humans up the front was not functioning"

All the replies were how the other pilot could fly it alone and it was no big deal, pilot incapacitation is trained in the sim.

In flight emergency, no problem!

The holes in the cheese line up when you have only one pilot up the front AND an emergency.

Do they train that in a sim?

(Thinking of a certain BAC 1-11 incident)

I think the best thing is the slices of swiss cheese that sit in the front seats are as close to Mozzarella asthey can be.