PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2007, 04:24
Benny71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right To Live and Work In The EU

I hold an Australian passport and my wife holds an Italian passport. I know I am entitled to a UK residency permit (EEA family permit) if I join my wife in the UK, that gives me the same supposed rights as an EU citizen; i.e. live and work there. Apparently this is issued free of charge, which must be about the only thing that is!

What I am wondering though is does this equate to most airlines requirement to have "the unresticted right to live and work in the EU"?

My thinking is it does, so long as my wife accompanies me, which would be the case. If it doesn't mean I have this right, why don't companies stipulate that prospective employees must hold an EU passport? Not even BA has this requirement.

In any case I am applying to become an Italian citizen (as we've been married > 3 years), but have been told by the consulate that it would probably take 4 years to process, even though by law it's supposed to be decided within 2 years. This has left me with a massive headache - hence my query.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.