PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC investigation into fatigue, working culture & safety standards
Old 4th Apr 2007, 21:20
Cold Soak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ian, I don't know if this has been mooted already but I was just reflecting on your comment about pilots not reporting fatigue related incidents because of the so called "Blame Culture" within certain airlines. There is an anonymous reporting medium known as CHIRPS: Confidential Human Factors Incident Reporting Programme by which, by definition, anyone can report incidents without negative comeback. I'm certain that you would find fatigue related incidents reported here: http://www.chirp.co.uk/main/Aviation.htm
Good luck.

After a few minutes of looking I found this. Don't know if it's what you're looking for since there is no EVENT associated with it but it's interesting nonetheless:

From: Air Transport FEEDBACK 72 Issued Autumn 2004 page 6

REPORT TIMES
Article:
No particular event. I have concerns that my Company does not take the issue of pilot fatigue seriously. As far as I am aware CAP 371 INTENDS a rolling duty hour limit of 55 hours without the interference of the definition of a week. The Company I believe is moving towards a 60-hour rolling limit. The Company has introduced a fatigue survey in an effort to demonstrate its concern but at the same time allows no credit for the actual time conscientious pilots normally check in for a flight in order to obtain flight plans, weather etc and brief adequately. In particular no credit is given for training flights in this respect for briefing and debriefing. These problems are made worse by inadequate briefing facilities and very limited access to company and aircraft manuals which are shared on computers which cabin crew use for hotmail.

Comment:
CAP 371 - Fourth Edition, which must be incorporated in operators' Approved FTL schemes by not later than 1 April 2006, specifies that the maximum duty hours for flight crew, excepting helicopters, shall not exceed 55 hours in any consecutive seven days, except in specific circumstances involving unforeseen delays. CAA (SRG) is in discussions with the operator with a view to increasing the report time for crews undergoing line training.