PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cosford 'Cold War Exhibition'
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2007, 20:27
TSR22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All
I have to agree with Papa (sorry Boris!!! ) - I think that the building is not in keeping with the surroundings.
Lets face it; Cosford is a pre-war expansion period station with the usual array of C type hangars and neo-georgian brick construction (with the odd modern bit thrown in!). Even the control tower is pre-war vintage (and, I think the only one of it's type still in regular use without additions).
I like the whole architectural thing about RAF stations from that period (most of them are "pre-war expansion", with a few exeptions) and putting someones arty farty building in the middle of it just doesnt work (for me!)
I think a normal hangar with a nice front (glass doors etc) would have been more in keeping. Dunno if that would have altered the museum attendance though - I guess that some people like modern!!!
True, though - when I arrived by air , the weather was foul (I wondered if they would let us take off again) but we still saw it from some distance away (as it slowly emerged from the mist!)
Did anyone notice the hideous fire escape on the outside? Architectural gaffe there - my friend who is an architect was with me on that day and he wasn't impressed............