PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B747-400 no stick pusher
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2007, 17:15
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I have flown to the push many times on a BAC 1-11. As one pulled, the igniters would come on first, then the shake, and really quite a heave later the aircraft would start to wallow just prior to the push.

Claxons let you know that nitrogen had fired onto a piston-pushing the stick forward-should you miss the significance of seeing green fields and little houses in your windscreen.

I'm kidding, it really was quite benign, and of course much more predictable than a stall in an unfriendly type.

I recall the description given by one of our contemporaries, of the Mike Lithgow tape. As they were going down their dialog was very measured at first, becoming........well, less so, shortly before impact.

The crash footprint was not much different to the shape of the aircraft.

The Pappa India crash is of course the most significant in terms of handling and CRM. A police officer at our shooting club was one of those attending. He said that if so many people had not stopped to look at the crash, they may have saved some lives. I don't know about that, but he was there, I wasn't.

As the afore mentioned Davis says (well, a rough interpretation ) in a later edition of his book -- a true appreciation of the characteristics of your aircraft is of paramount importance. He went on to give an almost impassioned plea for more real handling training...on real aircraft.