PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference between Airbus and Boeing controls
Old 4th Apr 2007, 14:48
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on the Airbus I am in no way limited in knowing what inputs are taking place during the landing
How can you be that sure !?
Do you use something I am not aware of ???

In normal conditions (probably close to 99%), it is a true statement, but only if you slightly modify it :
On the Airbus I am in no way limited in correctly guessing what inputs are taking place during the landing

For the remaining percentage, when things are getting marginal out there, it is a false statement, and you would have to drastically modify it :
On the Airbus I am in no way sure what inputs are taking place during the landing

When you decide to push that red button, maybe the guy was already correcting but you don’t know it (The developing airplane attitude may just be a consequence of these marginal outside conditions) but you’re still in the mind he was not correcting so you might go for a big surprise,
And you will have to go through a complete and new assessment of the situation

Now, that low over the ground, precious seconds have gone before you realize that the only available option was the GO-AROUND

I don't like cheating the other guy out of the landing but I now do not hesitate to push the button
I would say Airbus does not leave many options:

- Either you take control early in the approach as you are the one ultimately in charge for the vessel
- Either you let it go to your limit before you hit the red button, but if you’re low over the ground, you do it because you’ve already decided it was for the go-around