PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it acceptable or appropriate for PPLs to wear 1 gold bar
Old 4th Apr 2007, 13:55
Chukkablade

While I don’t agree with your point backpacker, you state it well. However, it falls apart rather quickly when you consider just two examples that are taken from real life. You soon see that the scenarios just don’t play out the way you have stated them in your post.

First off; bird strike. ‘Fatal Traps’ is full of examples of this that are influenced by simply wearing a helmet. No more needs said.

Secondly, the military display pilot who, years back, did a display in his Lightning without incident, then had a bad afternoon in his’ less than 250hp’ civvy machine. Were he not wearing protective gear when he crashed, he felt it would have been a fatality by burning, this being borne out by his unfortunate wife who was dressed in normal summer clothing. Not good. At least he could help remove her from the wreckage due to the protective nature of his dress. Thats real 'passenger responsibility' of why the guy who flies it should at least take some steps of protection in my book.

As I said, it’s not about trying to look like some patch wearing wannabee, it’s about taking reasonable steps to protect yourself if you get a swipe from the bad luck fairy. As someone who went skidding up the asphalt after coming off a motorbike on more than one occasion, I rather believe in taking at least some steps to be the right side of cautious. It's why I dont have skin grafts nor plates in my skull (debatable!).

If it all works for you however, then good luck with it. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by Chukkablade; 4th Apr 2007 at 14:15.