PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 4th Apr 2007, 12:48
lordsummerisle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slickster,
I didn't say that everybody metabolises or reacts the same to alcohol, just that the actual alcohol reading will be the same, whether you are somebody who can handle their beer or a little old lady who has a glass of sherry once in a while.
It's true that you will have lost some of your alcohol during your drinking time, but one unit an hour, and not until after the first hour does that take effect.
If i put it like this you will see that it is far from zero by report time.
2 pints an hour for 2 hours before Cutoff time(not unreasonable rate of drinking)
T- 10 hours Start drinking
T- 9 hours 2 x pints consumed - 6 units minus 1 unit 5 units
T- 8 hours 4 x pints consumed 11 units minus 1 unit 10 units
T- 7 hours 9 units
T- 6 hours 8 units
T- 5 hours 7 units
T- 4 hours 6 units
T- 3 hours 5 units
T- 2 hours 4 units
T- 1 hour 3 units
Report time 2 units
I, and i imagine many others would not consider 4 pints much at all, but it just goes to show how even this amount can still have you over the limit for flying certainly.
I only posted this to maybe help people judge what they can or can't drink before either work or driving the next day after drinking, a good nights sleep does not take it all away
Anyway, gone off topic now, so apologies

Flying Lawyer

It may be that my course instructors were wrong about metabolism of alcohol if you have different information, but 1 unit per hour is a reasonable rule of thumb to use