PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lesson Frequency
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2007, 11:03
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly out of a busy, controlled field, with everything up to banner towing and 737s. The only element lacking is gliders. I always try to get my "downwind" checks (properly called "approach" checks) done before the last VRP before entering the circuit. That way I've got time to fly the aircraft and anticipate any curveball that ATC might throw at me. We do get the occasional "Able to do a short circuit?" "Affirm" "Cleared to land, request expedite vacating, number 2 is a 737 on long final" when you're midfield downwind at 1500'. Pull the power all the way back, drop all flaps and kamikaze turn. They only seem to do that to aircraft that are based there though, and sound confident on the radio.

A collegue of mine had that same situation, but he was in an R-2160 (Aerobatic Robin) and just returned from an aerobatic sortie (tower knew this, presumably). He did a 110 degree (no kidding!) banked turn from downwind direct onto the runway. From downwind to "runway vacated" in less than 30 seconds. You'd better have all your checks completed before... OTOH - our gear is down and welded so there's not a lot that can go seriously wrong if you forget a check.