PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it acceptable or appropriate for PPLs to wear 1 gold bar
Old 4th Apr 2007, 08:39
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTN article "Bar Wars"

The April issue of Flight Training News (available at most flying schools) has an article on this very subject, entitled "Bar Wars". Apparently Appendix F to the amendments to the something-or-other Act focus on security issues, and propose to use gold bars for security checks, instead of airline pilots having a hard time getting airside and having items like pens confiscated. So ALL pilots will have to wear gold bars - one for PPLs, 2 for CPLs, 3 for frozen ATPLs, four for unrestricted ATPLs. In order for these bars to be recognised by scanners, they will of course have to be in a specified material and of a specifc width - so all current gold bars are now defunct. As this will be a legal requirement and is a safety issue, uniform suppliers will have to have background security checks.

There was a load of rigmarole about all the other issues surrounding this, and as I read it, I thought it sounded totally crazy. Could it be true? Well, perhaps; it was no crazier than suggesting that gliders and hang-gliders have Mode S transponders, for instance. But when I got to AFE being an ISO010407 organisation who was qualified to do all this, I realised it was the April FTN, and began to wonder.... And then, when I read that it would be implemented at midnight on March 31st, ad that the next day anyone wearing unauthorised braid would have to hand it in and check in via the passenger security gates....the day after March 31st, yeah, OK.

And then I turned over, and there was a large, convincing looking AFE ad for "all your airside security clothing requirements", and it tells you in small print to "send your order with...a blank cheque made payable to 'AFE April Fool Fund'....along with any unauthorised epaulettes in your possession...and 78 passport-sized photos of yourself".

Nice one, FTN