PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair
Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 22:44
GGV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skyflier737 you say
we can leave if we want to. It is NOT a sweatshop! Sweatshop workers have no choice.
As this is different from stories being circulated by pilots here and elsewhere I would appreciate some clarification.

The general picture that is painted of Ryanair is one where the trainee pays for a rating and has a period of quite low pay (sometimes no pay) afterwards. It does strike me that those pilots who have debts, often substantial, badly need employment to help them pay off their debts. Thus, if it is true that they are badly paid there is a "catch 22" situation where they cannot leave even if they want to. In addition, of course, there is the "line training bond", which makes it even more difficult to leave.

These stories were told to me by FR pilots. You seem to have had a different experience. Is this because of personal circumstances (e.g. lots of money!!) or it because you really can leave without difficulty? But, then again your probably have a contract which obliges you to give FR 3 months notice, which does not make finding a job easy. (I know several FR pilots interviewed for jobs with a particular airline that have concluded that this is hindering their employment).

So, when you put all of that together, I am not at all sure what you mean by "we can leave if we want to". Of course it is possible, but can you really (in the real world)?