PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Untie my hands
Thread: Untie my hands
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 21:46
airac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clarification

Ok so the majority appear to be against it. In an ideal world I would agree, however, whilst I totally agree with you Chilli, single manning is not desirable, it is however a situation that is faced regularly at several units.
I believe even your unit struggled to attract the normal number of applicants last time round. How would you solve the problem?

Nudging, good point but even if I maintain a permanent watch I'm not going to stop the odd hare ( that’s why its a hare field) infringing my runway, vehicles like A/c would not move and terrain is taken care of under the existing RVA arrangements .
I am not proposing cutting corners merely utilising all the available aids to provide a safe and expeditious flow etc.

Tower ranger, Why is it not safe? Please inform me of incidents directly related to the apparent misuse of the ATM; in fact I believe headings are issued at one unit already in the event of a go around.

This is a crisis , the point you make is also valid.
However why cant we as controllers make the most of modern technology these procedures were established BEFORE the advent of daylight displays, when it was obviously impossible to do the same task

Nobody has mentioned the self positioning of A/C using Centrefix. What’s wrong with doing that?

To simply say its not done that way because it never has been is not good enough, technology moves on so should we . Each case should be looked at separately and generalisations as per the MATS pt one should, if possible, be avoided.
Lets face it when was the last time you heard of a B747 inbound to Heathrow adopting the Bog off procedure in the event of etc.