PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC Flying Pay change
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 15:34
Front Seater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QHI 656,
Interesting post - but I must challenge you on your thought process. I couldn't give a monkeys bum for the rest of the Army and how Apache is viewed in town or who is high up in which Regimental MAFIA ruling the roost.
Based on your assumptions then we, as the British Army should have united against the RAF and RN and gone for the jugular on those areas of Defence Spending that are not contributing to real world operations or training for operations. We could all look around and identify the areas (and I do not for one moment think I am having a sideways swipe at Typhoon, MRA4, T45 or the new carriers, because they will vindicate themselves I am sure, just as we did after many a year of virtually everyone doubting us and the Apache.
The point that I think you have missed QHI is that I am more than content to take a real time pay cut for the Defence of the Country (did I just say that!!) - seriously, if that was what our lords and masters had agreed, I would have sucked it up and felt the pain.
But can someone please tell me that if Defence (not just the Army echelons of power) is that broke, why didn't HQ DAAvn stand up to the treasury, top brass with the very simple fact that on operations, here and now we are fighting alongside both RAF and RN aviators, in exactly the same uniform and under the same command.
So if Defence is that broke why doesn't HQ DAAvn and the Army tell the RN and RAF to backfill their shortfall with this so called (still unconfirmed') 'surplus' of Army pilots. When we are supposedly working for the same company under a Joint Personnel Agency can individuals get paid different amounts despite being of the same rank, length of service and professional qualification?
It has nothing to do with the Army/Defence being broke - it is the fact that I am in Joint Helicopter Command and not only do I see myself and my Army Air Corps colleagues not getting any FRI for our efforts, but I also have to take a real pay cut over the years ahead.
Where was DAAvn's Staff when the other 2 Services were obviously fighting their corner - yet again back to being Teeny Weenie Airways, with wheezie boy in the corner!
Sorry QHI - you want us to fight together then pay us together - this is just so deviscive and can only breed ill feeling.

Bottom line QHI - if the Army is broke and cannot afford us, then I am sure that the RAF/RN will find some funds for us and look after its people in a much better way than HQ DAAvn.