PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ISLE OF MAN
Thread: ISLE OF MAN
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 13:13
Anotherflapoperator

From the perspective of the crew who are now operating the Flybe flights, it's a very frustrating time for us.

I don't know what is causing the problems, or what the motive is, but the split ground handling on the rock is just not working. The number of checkin errors we see is alarming. Delays as MR try to sort out the problems, indifference from FS staff when questioned, it goes on. Whether that's poor training, lack of rest I don't know, some are definitely better than others though...

I agree Pier one at LGW South terminal is atrocious. But what can WE do? It's scheduled to be knocked down soon I've heard, but the good will we still see from some pax is much appreciated.

Thing is the checkin is the first airline experience you get and if that's bad, it sours the trip. Every flight we get families split up, two pax in one seat, baggage mislabelled or given duplicate tags. You must wonder that if the start of the trip is being ruined by the checkin staff, and folk are being turned off Flybe as a result, who benefits? Then again, who's doing the checkin? FS. Where are their loyalties? Go figure.

I'm sure a lot of the staff are trying their best on unfamiliar software, seating plans, etc. However the end result of a f-up is positive marketing for EMX.

So, to all the passengers who get buggered around at checkin, remember, look around and see what's changed, and what's still the same. When you get on board, please don't take it out on the crews, or the ramp staff. We're trying our best.

Looking back a page or two, only one skipper laments the loss of G-MABR, the rest of us called it scabby dog for a good reason. G-GNTZ is indeed in 2-3 config, it's original Business air seats were in-G-MABR! The'll be going back in soon, I suspect.
It doesn't have a row 17, but then again it doesn't have a row 13 either! We can put 80 on, just pop the No3 on the jumpseat if needed.

G-MANS, G-MIMA's twin sister, comes here to operate from the 9th, or possibly before. 90 seats, 3-3. It should have had 93, two less than G-MIMA due to the rear dogbox, but when they tried to put them in according to the engineering drawings, they didn't fit, so 90 it is. Twin crewseat at the front and airstairs too so no wait for steps anymore!

The time the bags failed to show up was because the fueller put too much on and overloaded the aircraft. Again not the airline's fault. They could have de-fuelled it, but the delay would have been interminable. As to the incontinence episode, sorry my fault. Well sort of, we just started out and got a hydraulics warning followed by a low quantity warning. A flexible hose to the airbrake jaqck split and out came the Skydrol all over the back end and taxiway. TZ is 24 years old, so I'm just glad it didn't happen in the air because Skydrol is a good paint stripper and the car park at LGW is under the flight path

Hopefully we'll have a -300 by June, when G-MANS is also retired, so then we'll be on the flybe automatic system. FS should be able to checkin properly, and Serviceair at LGW should be able to cope as well.

Lottery to start to guess what G-MANS will look like? BA Tail, white tail? Flybe stickers? answers on a postcard. It'll be good to get back into the comfortable seats anyway.

Bear with us, the prices are getting better and with more seats to fill, they'll be better still.

Unless the check-in experience puts everyone off in the meantime of course....

Last edited by Anotherflapoperator; 3rd Apr 2007 at 13:33.