PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue EBA II (Poll)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 07:49
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, EBA time in any airline is a priceless thing to observe...

To begin with:
1) I'm only generally familiar with your old (current) EBA; and
2) I have barely bothered to delve into your new one.

Those that know me here (and at Jet* Domestic) know my union background. And, on that basis, I'm more than happy to be considered biased. At any rate, I like to think my opinion is well balanced, and my responses here generally non-emotive.

Now then...I read with great interest you voted down your agreement. Irrespective of your view, it's now time to move forward as a COLLECTIVE, and let your negotiating team know what you really want from this EBA.

Interestingly , your pilots have weighed into the debate (oh how FORTUNATE for everyone!). My, lets thrill at their industrial knowledge of the working flight attendant.

As far as RW is concerned, I agree with the newsletter 100% - this is a matter for CABIN CREW to deal with. Outside input - particularly from other areas such as the pilot fraternity - CAN be helpful. In this case, it would seem, the input has been misinformed.

737NG-Girl. you state:
"We are allowed to research whichever methods we choose when making a decision regarding the way we voted - emails like this are condescending and belittling to Cabin Crew & Pilots alike."
Yes, by all means you use whatever resources you feel necessary. Actually, there was little in RW's newsletter that I considered to be belittling . Clearly, like any rep, the last thing you want is people - who have NO interest in the voting or outcome of the EBA - influencing the outcome based on misinformation. RW by all accounts, calls a spade a spade.

Your pilots do, after all, fly the aircraft, and as I understand, have always operated to a different EBA than you - so why the sudden interest?

Another pearler...
"I think it would be good if you guys break free from the FAAA and form your own organisation. There is no doubt in my mind they are aligned with the company and must be getting some sort of compensation. It is insulting to think you are paying them for the privelege of them conspiring with the company to cut your conditions."
Oh yes - because Jet* pilots did this, didn't they, and they won SO much as a result! Like flying an A330 for much the same as an A320! Yeah...great job. Another win!

I especially like the bit about the FAAA being 'aligned' with the company. This hoary little chestnut always makes the appearance, with the threat of libel always lurking in the corners. Proof is one thing - innuendo is another.

I love the touch of how it's "insulting to think you are paying them for the privelege (sic)" - insulting for WHOM exactly...seems this pilots knickers are well and truly knotted, for someone who's not even able to VOTE on the EBA!

What I'd really like to know - as an interested outsider - is how much this pilot (like many others) actually know about the two EBA comparisons. Have the commenting pilots actually read the documents, and considered the operational outcomes, themselves - or have they instead listened to 'opinion' rather than fact. Ignorance masking itself as knowledge is a dangerous thing.

As I mentioned before, I haven't read much of the now defeated EBA, so at any rate, it's back to the drawing board. Any emotive opinion now is worth zero - the key is outlining what you didn't like, vs what you do.

As for the tripe about VIPA (blah blah blah), let the pilots do their thing. I don't profess to even know how their EBA operates - but at least I'm honest enough to admit it.

In closing, ask yourself this...in all the years of flight attendants (and hostesses before that) in this country, why has the FAAA as it stands today the only union that represents crew in this country?

Others have tried (eg. TWU) in years gone by, and failed - again, ask yourself why? And ask yourself why as a niche employee group (whose members only exist in airlines, in a specific job catgeory) they have 5000-odd members across all the airlines?

You know - you could spend years - literally years - bleating "I don't like the FAAA for this" blah blah blah...but it won't get you anywhere.

Better start putting your heads together guys - you've got another EBA to negotiate...and your team could use all the feedback it needs.

I wonder just how many Cabin Crew have been just as concerned about the Pilot's EBA terms and conditions...