PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 07:48
OldChinaHand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a lot of drivel has crept into this thread. The Pilot concerned will undergo due process to ascertain his/her guilt or innocence. Infringement of pre-duty "bottle to throttle rules, whether they 8,10 or 12 hours cannot be permitted.

There are two types of persons who may, and do, infringe this rule.
1. Individuals with a drink/substance abuse problem or other problem( alcoholic etc ) who needs to be taken aside, provided with help, rehabilitation and support to give them the chance to overcome and resume their Career. I know several colleagues who have undergone such programmes with success.

2. Those who have one within the period for whatever reason, perhaps, all their mates are having one, they lose track of time, they think it will be all right, its just one, they are on standby and think they will not be called, could be any of many reasons. These individuals needs to learn some responsibility and discilpline. Remember a heavy session even 24 hours before may still affect your sense of balance.

My background is 22 yrs as a Pilot of both freight and Pax. The majority of pilots I have worked with are very rigid about "bottle to throttle". But a few have not been, usually due to an underlying problem, bet it martial, stress, financial or whatever.

We, as professionals, colleagues and persons charged with responsibility must not accept a situation where a fellow pilot is ....pushing the limits with alcohol. Most companies have system of intervention and assistance. It may not even need to go that far, a word of awareness in the persons ear may well be enough to make them re-think their actions. A stitch in time saves nine.

The trial by media that now surrounds a Pilot being dealt with by the authorities on suspicion of this offence is unhelpful, unjust, ill informed and a travesty of natural justice. Lets not have trial by PPRUNE. I wonder do the Journalists/Editors who smash the life of an individual with Shock headlines ever stop to think how it will affect the person? The is nothing wrong with accurate and fair reporting.....But come on!!!!.

Chaps, If you want to keeps your career, leave plenty time between your last drink and report for duty and remember the company limit is a minimum, a heavy session may require a longer drink free period. If you break the rules you put your colleagues in a difficult position, face arrest and public humiliation.