PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 21:10
Earthmover

Humus Motor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are all uncomfortable with the actual reporting process, especially if coming from a random source. Whilst it is very difficult to see what else another member of staff is to do if someone is clearly hat-racked, I do wish there was at least some burden of responsibility and accountability on the reporter, so that people know that they had better be damn sure it isn't a whim (or a vendetta) before picking up the phone to the boys in blue.

A friend of mine was breath-tested by what appeared to be a very aggressive Gestapo unit at the airport car-park gates at 0dark30 before reporting. Transpires someone had phoned the police to tell them he was not fit to fly through alcohol. For various (irrelevant to the story) reasons, it was a certainty that his ex-wife and/or her new Beau had been the source - they had been waging an entirely malicious and nasty campaign to discredit him, not only with his colleagues, but even with his children.

He was absolutely clear of course, but he was so shaken that he should never have got airborne after that .. he 'regained his wits' as he put it, about an hour into the cruise, realising only afterwards that he would have been less than 100% if anything had happened.

I, like anyone with half a brain, know that drinking and flying don't mix - but I'm really uncomfortable that just about anyone can cause this sort of trouble without having to justify it.