PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli Ops at V&A
Thread: Heli Ops at V&A
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 20:38
Stuart Low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Day BarryO. I have decided to register on this site in an effort to set the record straight. I have a habit (annoying for some) of taking notes in a book at relevant meetings. I will utilize these notes in an effort to set out the facts and allow the members to decide for themselves if the truth is being ’bent’ or not.

In mid-December we met with NP (Your partner?). At the meeting he offered four machines to the NPA which he had available at various short notice periods. Bearing in mind the crisis which was being experienced at the time, the requirement was for something in as short a time as possible. The machines on offer were, a brand new AW139 (which I questioned), a Bell 412 which we agreed would work for a short term contract, in fact we agreed to use a 212 if one could be found but only for the short term, an AS 365-C3, which we were unhappy with and a BK-117 which we also binned outright. We questioned who would be operating the machines and were told that you had absolutely no desire to operate them as you did not have anywhere close to the required expertise. In fact NP told us that you guys had “29 machines operating in four countries.”

We were also given the assurance that the 412, which we all agreed was the most practical solution to our immediate problem, was “parked on the hardstand, next to the IL-76, ready to go.” This meeting took place on a Thursday and we were given the assurance that the machine would be in SA by that Saturday failing that the following Tuesday. When the question of FOP was raised, we were given the assurance that through your connections this could be done in 48 hours!!! We bowed to your superior knowledge and said that this was something that we had attempted but were told that it was not possible. The paperwork would be your responsibility.

The next ‘curved ball’ came from one of your sister companies when a manager contacted our chief engineer and resident pilot with offers of employment. Where did this come from? Much back pedaling later and apologies about how he got ahead of himself and was working on his own etc…

Guess what, the machine did not arrive as promised, in fact all deadlines were broken. I called NP to get an update and was told that there was a “problem with the hoist.” But not to worry as a replacement was being fast freighted over the Atlantic as we speak and the machine would be on its way. Never did leave and I accept that the market for fully equipped off shore machines is tight, that is why I was having difficulty getting my mind around how you guys were able to source all these machines in such a short time.

All goes quiet, then a meeting is called and we were asked to make a decision on the 412 within an hour. We bin the idea. Next option, how about the SA365-C3. I take great pains to tell NP that I have my ‘book’ with me and to ensure that any ‘facts’ he presents to me are likely to be checked. He tells us that you guys have a “vested interest” in the 365-C3. It is currently being operated by a Shell Aviation Approved organization in an offshore role. We express our concerns but are keen to try and make the project work. We need graphs from the manual to verify performance as the C3 was never made in big numbers. Some of the graphs arrive in minutes, critical graphs (SE Performance) are still awaited days later, in fact never arrive. We still question the FOP issue and are told that the lady (her name was given) is getting cross with repeated questions about her ability to issue the permit. She can do this in 48 hours. Our experience and the law state otherwise. The C3 quietly fades away. Next as you so incorrectly state as being “the second option, the BK” was offered again. Remember, at the start we said this machine was totally unsuitable as the rotor system was wrong, the hoist was on the wrong side, it had skids, totally inadequate SE performance and tail rotor effectiveness that can only be described as pathetic amongst other reasons. The said CAA official never recommended the 117, in fact he suggested that contact be made with the operator. This was not done.

So in summary so the members of this thread can decide for themselves as to whether the truth was ‘bent’ or not;
  • execheli.com operates 29 helicopters in 4 countries (?)
  • The 412 was parked ready to go, 3 days, operational with all paperwork in place within a week
  • A FOP obtainable in 48 hours. Contact with CAA and DOT and ASL council have all confirmed that this is simply impossible
  • A company who presents themselves as providers of helicopters then proceeds attempt to ‘steal’ your staff
  • They have a “vested interest” in a SA365-C3 but are unable to provide critical graphs from a manual, yet other graphs are immediately available
  • Shell Aviation are still looking through their database for your “:Shell approved operator”
  • The BK-117 is suddenly the “second option.” Wrong, it was never an option!
  • etc……
This statement is worth revisiting..

On the Ports Authority, keep digging china, you wont find any smut. No dirty laundry, no bull , nada.

BarryO, we tried to get this project off the ground and to assist you. It would have been good business but not all plans work out.

I wish you well with your operation in CT. I know for a fact that there is very good business to be had and can give you the assurance that we will not be competing as it is not our core business.